Sermorelin acetate is a recently synthesized (man-made) peptide analogue of growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) a naturally occurring hormone that is produced in the hypothalamus and stimulates and controls the production of growth hormone (GH) within the pituitary gland. GHRH, which is necessary for growth and development, was first described by Nobel Laureates R. Guilleman and A Shalley. In the 1970s one of their students, William Wehrenberg, began studying which part of the GHRH molecule was essential in stimulating the pituitary gland.
SERMORELIN FUNCTION AND TRAITS
By removing individual amino acids from the GHRH molecule, Wehrenberg found that only the first 29 amino acids were essential for the stimulation of GH production in the pituitary gland. Semorelin is therefore only comprised of these 29 essential amino acids, forming a short polypeptide chain that is considered one of the shortest functional fragments of the GHRH molecule. It was first developed with a one-step chromatographic method capable of separating all isomers of polyethylene glycol (PEG) from naturally occurring GHRH.
The biological effects of sermorelin were first observed in vitro cultures of rat pituitary cells. When compared to other GHRH analogues, sermorelin was found to be the most potent, potentially 4-5 times as potent as naturally produced GHRH. Recent studies of other GHRH analogues in pigs have also found synthetic GHRH analogues to be more effective than the naturally occurring hormone.
Sermorelin is now used as a standard test for growth hormone secretion and is primarily prescribed for children who do not produce GH properly and fail to grow healthily as a result. It has a secondary, off-label use in “repairing” declining GH levels (a natural side effect of aging that leads to weight gain, decreased strength and muscle mass, and insomnia in elder subjects). GH levels typically peak at around 20 years of age in humans and fall by about 14% for every decade that passes, but use of Sermorelin can potentially rejuvenate GH back to youthful levels.
EFFECTS OF SEMORELIN
Sermorelin has a wide range of positive effects. Due to its nature as a GHRH, sermorelin only increases the body’s ability to produce more growth hormone; it is not an injection of growth hormone itself. In both a performance enhancing and general well-being sense, sermorelin has a wide array of benefits that make it a powerful and valuable substance.
- Mental: Focus and mental clarity improve, leading to an easing of general day-to-day tasks. Libido can be heightened and users have reported an improvement in their sex lives. General fatigue as well depression can also be reduced. All of these qualities can lead to a generally healthier, happier lifestyle.
- Physical: Sermorelin increases the development of lean body mass through the development of new muscle cells and reduces body fat through lipolysis. This leads to increased strength and endurance and improved muscle tone as well as improved skin elasticity (smoother, less wrinkly skin) and loss of cellulite. Calcium retention improves, leading to the increased mineralization of bone (bone density), strengthening the skeletal system.
- General enhancement: Protein synthesis increases, leading to the stimulation of all internal organs (including the heart) except for the brain. Cholesterol levels fall. Regardless of the purpose of use, joint and muscle pain is lessened, one’s recovery time from wounds increases, and the immune system improves. The individual will not tire as quickly and will be able to go longer in their daily activities, be those exercise related or other. Deeper, more restful and satisfying sleep can be expected (some have reported more vivid dreams) and hair can becomes thicker, fuller, and more lustrous.
SIDE EFFECTS OF SEMORELIN
There are a significant number of potential side effects that come with the use of sermorelin, although in the vast majority of cases the side effects, if present at all, are relatively mild. While side effects are certainly possible and semorelin is not risk-free, for a healthy adult these risk can be minimized and many will find no negative side effects at all.
- Common side effects: The most common side effects (about 17% of total cases) include pain, swelling, and/or redness at the injection site. These side effects usually do not require medical attention. Less common are itching and trouble swallowing. As with any peptide, allergic reactions can occur. Many patients develop antibodies to growth hormone–releasing hormone at least once during treatment with sermorelin. However, the significance of these antibodies is not known. Their presence does not appear to affect growth, nor do they cause specific side effects. In less than 1% of cases, dizziness, flushing, headache, hyperactivity, or sleepiness have been reported. The use of semorelin could also potentially lead to reduced risk of hypertension, stroke/aneurysm/heart attack, heart and kidney failure, and vision changes or loss, however none of these conditions have been conclusively linked to its use.
- Medical risk: Studies in rats, rabbits, and pigs have shown there to be an adverse effect upon the fetuses of pregnant females. There have been no studies at all regarding this product and its risks in human females who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant and it is currently unknown whether sermorelin is released in mammalian breast milk. Using alcohol, tobacco or other medications (especially corticosteroids and glucocorticoid) with certain products may cause certain unwanted interactions to occur. Speak to your healthcare professional about other medicines you take and your lifestyle choices before starting to use this substance. The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of this product, so always check with your doctor beforehand, especially if you suffer from an under/hyperactive thyroid. Long-term studies to determine if sermorelin has any carcinogenic properties in either humans or animals have not been conducted, but neither have any reports of cancer caused by semorelin been reported.
Sermorelin is prescribed as a fine white powder of a variable dose (in milligrams) in a vial that must be mixed with bacteriostatic water or medical grade saline solution as a diluent. The powder should be stored out of light at or below room temperature. The solution is used by injection into subcutaneous (below the skin) body fat using a very small needle, comparable to what a diabetic would use to take their insulin shots.
Once combined into solution form, sermorelin must be kept in the refrigerator (do not freeze—store between 2 and 8°C/36 and 46°F) ) and out of light or else the chain of amino acids will break down and it will be rendered ineffective. Before use, check the liquid for particles or discoloration and, if found, discard the solution. As with most peptides, there is a saturation dose at which point taking any more of the peptide will not increase the production of growth hormone, a consequence of the body’s natural mechanism to keep hormonal levels at a safe homeostasis. This saturation dose is typically around 100mcg.
It is best to use a different place on the body for each injection (for example, abdomen, hip, thigh, or upper arm). The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients based off of their body-mass index (BMI); use it exactly as directed by your doctor and do not use it more often than your doctor prescribed. Sermorelin has an ongoing effect in which optimal HGH levels can be sustained long after the last injection. Just like synthetic GH, sermorelin initially must be injected every day. Unlike synthetic HGH, once optimal levels reached, injection frequency can be decreased or stopped altogether
AVAILABILITY AND PURCHASE OF SERMORELIN
Products containing sermorelin acetate was pulled from the US market (under the brand name ‘Geref’) in November, 2002. Sermorelin is also not commercially available in Canada. Thus, one cannot buy sermorelin over-the-counter in North America. However, sermorelin can legally be prescribed by a doctor for “off label” use at home in the United States. As with all products related to steroids and growth hormone, sermorelin can be found for purchase on the black market and the internet, even in geographic locations where its sale is prohibited by local, state, and federal law. While some of these sellers may be selling products of repute, the trustworthiness of products sold over the internet or black market cannot ever be verified in advance. Always remember that there are plenty of mislabeled or outright fake products sold on the internet/black market that are marketed as certain other products and substances. Potential users should always consult with their medical professional and check the relevant laws of their home country/state before buying semorelin. Buying semorelin should not be a quick decision, but one made after some careful cost-benefit analysis of the effects and the consultation of professionals. Remember that purchasing semorelin online in the United States is still a crime, and that it can only be taken in the USA with a prescription written by your doctor.
There are currently no clinical trials being undertaken with sermorelin in the United States and consequently the jury is still out on its overall effectiveness when compared to its potential downsides, but very clearly it is a very powerful substance that has great potential for human general health and wellbeing, both mentally and physically. The key to getting the best results from the use of semorelin is understanding how GHRH affects the production of growth hormone in the body, which we have outlined above. Many assume that the use of such products is solely for the purpose of bodybuilding or gaining an unfair advantage in sports and competition, but sermorelin can be used as a general product to promote one’s mental and physical health and wellbeing and to counter the inevitable effects of aging. If any of these are your goals, then sermorelin is an outstanding substance for you.